Today is Earth Day. What do you do to help keep this amazing planet healthy? How does this relate to your own health?
There are a lot of simple, easy things you can do on a daily basis to help Gaia and ensure she is here for many years to come. If you have children it is a wonderful opportunity to share your love of the earth with them and teach them how they too can make a difference.
There are many groups around the Bay that organize Earth Day events. Beach clean-ups, picking up trash in the local neighborhood, or restoring native plants are just some of the ways to help. You can do a search to find one near you.
How does Earth Day relate to your health?
What you do at home to help your health has a direct effect on Gaia.
Here are some ideas that support your health and Gaia’s:
- Shop the farmers market where you’ll find organically grown, sustainably raised products.
- Decrease or eliminate the purchase of products packaged in plastic. (This is probably one of the most challenging on this list!)
- Re-use and re-purpose as many things as you can.
- Check out Green Citizen in Burlingame – they recycle all forms of styrofoam as well as electronics, electric housewares, CDs, and more.
- Compost food scraps or start an earthworm bin – these are fun ways to engage your children or yourself. The earthworms can then be transferred to your garden.
- Plant a garden.
- Make every day Earth Day!
All of these ideas help your health by providing healthy, nutritious, whole foods, help your outlook on life by making a difference, and directly supporting soil, insect, and plant health. Just as you care for your body so should you care for our beautiful planet.
Happy Earth Day!