Spring is soon upon us, the wind is blowing, the pollen is starting to fly and congestion, sneezes, cough, runny nose and watery eyes are flowing. Allergy symptoms are no fun to have and can interfere with your daily life.
Starting now you can do several things to decrease your allergy symptoms.
- Use a neti pot – saline rinses keep your sinus passages clear of pollen and allergens. Make sure that you rinse through the nostrils rather than using a spray bottle – this will push the allergens higher into the sinus passages
- Try a nebulizer – this is a fantastic way to deliver supplements into the sinuses. I’ve been seeing great results using homeopathics in the nebulizer
- Use an air filter – especially in the bedroom. Keeping the air clean will help keep allergens down. Air Doctor is having a sale right now through 3/13/22 11:59pm.
- Keep windows closed – do this on windy days to keep the pollens out of the house.
Supplements are another way to decrease or even eliminate allergy symptoms. Here are some of my favorites.
- Quercetin – this is an anti-oxidant, anti-histamine, and anti-inflammatory which makes it a great choice for allergy symptoms. Limit daily dosage to less than 1000mg.
- Nettles – starting nettles on a daily basis before allergy symptoms get out of control is a very effective strategy. 300mg a day has been shown to have similar effects to conventional allergy treatments. (1)
- Allqlear – this is a specific supplement that has been very effective in decreasing allergy symptoms for many of my patients.
- Bioflavonoids – another great anti-histamine can be taken as a supplement or found in these foods citrus fruits, cherries, dark grapes, broccoli, and red and green peppers.
You can find all of these supplements in my Fullscript store.
Decreasing overall inflammation in the body can also help improve allergy symptoms.
The key with allergies is starting treatment and prevention before the symptoms get out of hand. If you incorporate some of these strategies before your allergy symptoms kick in you could have a more enjoyable allergy season.
If you have tried these strategies and are still having symptoms call the office and schedule and appointment to determine the true cause of your symptoms. Taking a deeper look at all aspects of you can lead to improvement of allergy symptoms and more.