It’s important to review the basics for taking care of your health – physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Dr. Laura’s top 5 immune system boosters!
The #1 immune system booster:
Decrease fear levels. Research shows that the more you’re in fear the lower your immune functioning is. If you do a quick search online you’ll get hundreds of articles on the correlation between fear and lowered immune function specifically related to the pandemic.
How do you decrease fear?
Refocus your attention on positive things in your life like the beautiful day, the fact that you have your health, your family, your pets.
Consider a media fast – disconnecting for a day, several days, a week, or if that’s too difficult try a half a day. Media outlets are television, news, radio, social media, and the internet. You might be surprised how much better you feel 🙂
Practice gratitude – make this a daily practice. Before bed write down five things that you are grateful for on this day.
Pay attention to what you’re letting into your mind and heart – the body thrives with peace, calm, and positivity. You have the power to create this with a little extra attention and intention!
The #2 immune system booster:
Feed your body healthy whole foods. The nutrition we put into our body helps it run – when you put in high quality nutrients, the better your body functions, the stronger your immune system is and the better you feel.
- Eat the rainbow – make sure you’re getting a large variety of veggies and some fruits – it’s a great way to get antioxidants
- Eat whole grains – these provide fiber and nutrients
- Eat healthy fats like avocados, coconut oil, raw organic nuts, and olive oil decrease inflammation and are essential for the body.
- Eat clean healthy proteins to give your body the building blocks for functioning.
The #3 immune system booster:
Move and rest your body. Getting exercise regularly has been challenging for us during the pandemic however, It is still incredibly important that you are moving your body in some way and then getting the rest your body needs to repair.
- Walks, stretching, jumping jacks, etc.
- Just move!
- Try exercising for 1 minute each hour – you’d be surprised how effective it is
- Get 7-8.5 hours of sleep every night
The #4 immune system booster:
Connect with friends and loved ones. This is essential! And I know it’s challenging. Social isolation is detrimental to your well-being including your immune system.
- Reach out to your friends and family – make the effort
- Create or find a group of friends to connect with – create your pod
- If you don’t have a pet consider getting one – they love you unconditionally!
- Get outside and connect with nature – nature has so many living beings and it’s healing!
- Be of service for an elderly neighbor, a friend that needs help, or an organization.
The #5 immune system booster:
Make sure you’re getting your basic nutrients! This is a review from my email in March – and research since then has shown that vitamins D, C, and zinc are helpful. I’ve also added vitamin A because it boosts T-cells which help to fight infections!
Vitamin C – 1g 3x daily
Vitamin D – 5000 IU daily
Zinc – 30mg daily
Vitamin A – 10,000 IU daily
Incorporate these basic immune system boosters into your daily life to support your immune system, create a healthy and calm mental emotional environment, and feel good that you are taking your health into your own hands!
To purchase supplements from me please visit my Fullscript site where you can find all of my favorites.
For more extensive support during these times I am available. I offer video and in-person appointments to best support you. Naturopathic medicine works!