You might have heard me talking about ozone a lot either in person or on social media. But what is ozone and why would you get an ozone treatment?
What is Ozone?
When you think of ozone you’re most likely thinking of ozone in the atmosphere. Yes, that is a form of ozone BUT not the one I’m talking about.
Ozone was first discovered and used in the 1800’s in Germany. It was found that ozone could disinfect/ kill microbes and was used to treat water. Doctors started using it to purify blood and treat infections and found it was successful and safe.
Ozone therapies aka oxidative therapies were introduced in the United States in the late 1800’s. They have gained more popularity since the 1980’s and are growing more each year.
It is not an FDA “approved” therapy BUT has been studied extensively throughout the World at universities such as Harvard, Yale, Baylor, and UCLA as well as medical schools and labs in Germany, Russia, Canada, Cuba, Great Britain, Italy, and Japan. Ozone therapies are used in mainstream medical settings in Germany, Russia and Cuba.
How Does Ozone Work?
Ozone is three oxygen molecules forced together using medical grade oxygen and an ozone generator. It is an unstable molecule and breaks apart relatively quick once it is formed. This leaves an oxygen (O2) and one oxygen molecule to do the magic. Ozone treatment (oxidative therapy) breaks the toxins down into carbon dioxide and water so they can be effectively eliminated. Oxidation is one of the reactions in the body that helps to move toxins out and it is facilitated by ozone therapy.
Why Get Ozone Treatments?
Most people, as they age, have decreased oxygen utilization (as a result of lack of exercise, environmental pollution, poor diet, smoking, inefficient breathing, etc) leaving toxins in the body. Over time these can accumulate and result in fatigue, chronic infections, chronic disease, aches, and pains.
Ozone treatments can be done preventatively or as treatment to address any of the above issues. When used in conjunction with other healing therapies it is a recipe for health.
Here are just some of the actions:
(list compiled from aaot.us and The Oxygen Prescription, by Nathaniel Altman.)
- Activates the immune system in infectious diseases (think lyme, EBV, chronic virus, long-haul covid, etc).
- Stimulates the production of white blood cells helping fight infections.
- Dampens the immune system response in Auto-Immune conditions.
- Improves the cellular utilization of oxygen that reduces ischemia in cardiovascular diseases, and in many of the infirmities of aging (anti-aging effects, general heart health).
- Increases the efficiency of the anti-oxidant enzyme system – helping remove free-radicals.
- Causes the release of growth factors that stimulate damaged joints and degenerative discs to regenerate.
- Can dramatically reduce or even eliminate many cases of chronic pain through its action on pain receptors.
- Published papers have demonstrated its healing effects on interstitial cystitis, chronic hepatitis, herpes infections, dental infections, diabetes, and macular degeneration.
- Ozone is anti-neoplastic helping slow tumor cell growth
- Stimulates metabolism (supports mitochondria)
- Increases oxygen delivery to cells helping them function better leading to you feeling better!
I get ozone treatments as a preventative measure. Having a treatment every 1-2 months is a good rule of thumb for prevention.
If you have a specific issue you want to address we will determine the best protocol for you to help you on your healing path.