Kale salads are a great way to get your greens in. This is one that also uses raw brussels sprouts. It’s great to make ahead and have during the week as an easy lunch. This recipe is from Epicurious and one I like to use frequently once the brussels sprouts are in season. They are at the farmer’s market now so it’s a great time to make this recipe.
I like using Epicurious as a resource for recipes. I often modify them as well to eliminate or replace cheese/ dairy, wheat, and other foods.
KALE & BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large bunches of Dino kale (about 1 1/2 pounds total), center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- 12 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup almonds with skins, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup or more to taste nutritional yeast (optional)
Combine lemon juice, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Stir to blend; set aside to let flavors meld. Mix thinly sliced kale and shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl.
Measure 1/2 cup oil into a cup. Spoon 1 tablespoon oil from cup into a small skillet; heat oil over medium-high heat. Add almonds to skillet and stir frequently until golden brown in spots, about 2 minutes. Transfer nuts to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle almonds lightly with salt.
Slowly whisk remaining olive oil in cup into lemon-juice mixture. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Dressing, kale mixture, and toasted almonds can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover dressing and kale mixture separately and chill. Cover almonds and let stand at room temperature.
Add dressing and nutritional yeast to kale mixture; toss to coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Garnish with almonds.
I hope you enjoy this salad as much as I do! Let me know if you try it 🙂